Eating yourself to death?

Storify by Katherine Landergan

Several competitive eating participants have died from choking and heart attacks. Here is a compilation of a few deaths that gained widespread media attention.

A man choked to death at a sausage-eating competition in Romania earlier this month. The incident was filmed and uploaded to YouTube.

The 60-year-old man was participating in an eating challenge at a sausage festival on 5 October, according to The Huffington Post. (Warning: the footage attached to The Huffington Post story is disturbing.)

The Huffington Post linked to a 13:29 minute video, which shows the man choking and falling to the ground. Several people try to save him, but no one successfully completes the Heimlich Maneuver.

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 3.43.18 PM

A man died at an Australian pie eating contest in July, after uttering the words: ‘‘jeez, this chilli pie is hot,’’ according to The Brisbane Times.

Bruce Holland, age 64, collapsed during the contest in a north Queensland pub. He was taken to Townsville Hospital, where he later died.

Arthur McMahon, from the Lillywhite Hotel Group which owns the Bushland Beach Tavern, said: ‘‘He was there to have an enjoyable night and it is such a tragic and unfortunate thing to have happened. He was well known to the whole of Bushie Beach.”

Twitter users commented on the death and offered their condolences.

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 3.48.16 PM

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 3.50.08 PM

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 3.50.57 PM
Police said Holland appeared to have died from a heart attack, the BBC reported.

A Florida man died in July 2012 after he ate dozens of live roaches in a competition. Edward Archbold, 32, won the contest and then began vomiting, according to several news outlets.

He later collapsed in front of the store. Archbold was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Approximately 30 other people participated in the contest, which was hosted by a reptile store. The grand prize was a python.

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 3.57.23 PM

An autopsy report found that Archbold choked to death on roach pieces and his own vomit, according to the Miami Herald.

Many twitter users mocked Archbold’s death, and said he was foolish to have entered the contest.

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 3.53.56 PM

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 3.54.51 PM
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s